Monday, June 23, 2014

MSP Webinar Posting, Alana Dixon

Alana Dixon
Hahira Elementary School
Early Intervention Teacher


I feel as though I should begin by sharing that I am an Early Intervention Teacher at my school.  Every day I teach, remediate, and accelerate kindergarten through fifth grade students in the subjects of math and reading.  In reading I teach in small group and try to pull reading materials that support the science and social studies curriculum presented in the “regular” classroom.  I also incorporate trade books as much as possible with my math instruction.  I felt I should share this because I did not want you to feel as though I was being dishonest when I share ways I could use such a broad range of skills with my students on so many grade levels. 
Collette Bell
Hands on Geometry

The webinar presented by Colette Bell dispelled several misconceptions of math in the early childhood setting.  She began the webinar speaking of one of the major problems we are facing in education today.  Many children enter our classrooms with a negative outlook on math.  This is often learned at home.  I feel like we are seeing this more than ever with the implementation of the Common Core Curriculum.  Many parents do not understand why “we” have chosen to teach new strategies and mathematical thinking.  I feel we must begin by educating parents and being positive and encouraging when communicating these new ways of mathematical thinking.  We must then make our classroom a safe place for discovery and understanding.  There were a couple of activities that this presenter shared that I feel would be beneficial with my students.  The popsicle stick angles would be a great assessment tool with my third graders and quick review with my fourth graders.  I loved the velcro tip and plan on applying this in the coming school year.  Transparency paper is a must when teaching geometry.  Lines of symmetry, flips, slides, and turns are much easier to comprehend when the students can manipulate the shape.  She had some wonderful ideas with the transparency paper.  At the end of the school year I always try to introduce coordinate planes to my fourth graders.  The neighborhood map activity would be a wonderful way to relate coordinate planes to concepts they are familiar with.  The use of the alphabet to remember the order and placement of the X and Y axis is also a useful tip.  The was a great seminar with ideas relative to the children I teach.

John Roberts
Properties of Heat and Conductivity
Electrivity and Magnetism

This webinar followed closely with third grade standards.  Heat is one of the shortest and in my opinion weakest units in the Georgia Third Grade Science Framework.  The presenter shared several wonderful activities to demonstrate conduction, convention, and radiation.  My favorite was the cotton string in boiling water.  This gives the students a wonderful visual of the movement of heat through boiling water.  I also loved his connection with heat and weather patterns in our atmosphere.  This is a wonderful extension and great way to deepen the student’s understanding.  The homemade thermometer is sure to be a hit with students because they can see a reaction to their very own body heat.  The balloon activity is also very visible and a “big” change can be observed and I find that many times it takes “big” changes and reactions to keep their attention and interest level high.  I cannot wait to try the penny experiment with my kids.  I will be looking at literature to help tie it into my reading remediation and acceleration.  As always Mr. Roberts was an outstanding presenter with wonderful ideas for keeping students excited about science!
Eugenio M. Gant
Student’s Misconceptions
About Space Activities

            Mr. Gant is a wonderful presenter I was super excited to see that he was a presenter in the webinar series! However, I have one complaint….  I was not able to participate in the make and take!  J His flipbook about the seasons and the moon phases was great.  I also love the notes section that he provided on the flipbook.  I loved that he used videos and handmade graphics to relay the concept of moon phases and the Earth’s axis and how this affects the seasons.  The lamp and styrofoam ball was great concrete evidence of the moon’s phases.  I plan on locating a nonfiction trade book dealing with these topics and using the flipbook as a way to organize the information within.  This is a fourth grade standard so I am excited about implementing. 
Jacqueline Burns
The Progression of Fractions

            It is always a pleasure to attend one of Ms. Burn’s learning sessions.  She has an amazing knowledge of content standards and wonderful grade level appropriate ideas for implementation. Fractions are a major component of the third grade math curriculum.  Many of the students that I serve lack the concrete understanding of what a fraction is.  The use of colored bars and tiles, number line (imperative for understanding decimals in the fourth and fifth grade), and linking cubes were great for developing understanding at the concrete level.  I love that she allowed the students to come to their own independent conclusion and then allowed them to explain their thinking.  This is so very important with the rigor of math content today.  I firmly believe that if students can talk about and defend their thinking they will gain a deeper understanding of the content at hand.  In order for students to feel comfortable sharing and defending their conclusions or answers, the classroom must be safe and encouraging.  This is one area that I work very hard.  Most of my students struggle to grasp and master many of the basic skills in math and need to be “built up” when they enter my room.  They need to be heard and they need to know that I value their opinions and reasoning behind their thinking.  I love that she allows time for exploring where NO ONE is wrong.  I could apply the activities Ms. Burns shared to several grade levels by simply taking them to deeper levels as the intensity of the standards and grade level increase.  This was a wonderful webinar!


No comments:

Post a Comment